Gartner Recommendations on API Testing and Service Virtualization
Why Service Virtualization and API Testing are CriticalGartner's latest research on service virtualization and API testing tools discovered that:
- "The need for API testing and service virtualization is becoming increasingly important as IT organizations develop bimodal capability to support mobile, digital business transformation initiatives and the Internet of Things (IoT).
- The rapid adoption of agile and SOA-based solutions to support business agility demands that development and test organizations change approaches and tools to drive a broader, more accurate view of complex system quality.
- Service virtualization enables earlier, continuous, complete and parallel development and testing of software in a highly complex, heterogeneous and distributed environment. It can also reduce overall test lab costs.
- The market for testing and service virtualization is currently sized around US$200 million and growing at a CAGR of 12%. Growth is steady as businesses open up and share services internally and with partners."
Service Virtualization and API Testing Tool "Must Haves"
Gartner cites the following as being the most important capabilities and features associated with API testing and service virtualization tools:
- "Seamless integration between service virtualization solution and the service/API testing tool.
- Broad native support for protocols, technologies and message formats (REST, SOAP, JMS, JSON), security standards (OAuth, WS-Security, Kerberos, SSL, SAML) and industry-specific protocols (FIX, Swift, ISO 20022, ISO 8583).
- Runs on different platforms (Windows, Unix, Linux, Mac OS).
- Integration support with application development life cycle management, IDE and/or testing tools (Eclipse, Visual Studio, HP Quality Center Enterprise, Jira).
- Support for different types of testing such as functional, performance, security, compliance and coverage analysis.
- Comprehensive reporting and dashboard."
Get the Complete Gartner Market Guide for API Testing and Service Virtualization
The new Gartner Market Guide for API Testing and Service Virtualization found that demand for service virtualization and API testing solutions will quickly increase with faster delivery of new business functionality to more complex IT environments. This research highlights important market trends and attributes to help heads of development and testing adopt the right solution.
Download a complimentary copy of this Service Virtualization and API Testing guide to learn more about:
- Service Virtualization and API Testing recommendations for heads of development and testing.
- Why Service Virtualization and API Testing are critical for web-scale architectures and microservices.
- Where mocking/stubbing falls short.
- How open source solutions compare to commercial offerings.
- What to consider before adopting service virtualization and automated API testing tools.
Parasoft’s industry-leading automated software testing tools support the entire software development process, from when the developer writes the first line of code all the way through unit and functional testing, to performance and security testing, leveraging simulated test environments along the way.